Now that Hurricane Irma has finally passed, we begin the long clean up and recovery process in Florida. Many of you are wondering how you and your business can help those in need of assistance. While we still do not have a complete picture of the longer-term impacts and needs in the community, here are 10 great ideas to get you started as you look for ways to donate and volunteer. We will keep you posted as we learn more.
1) The Central Florida Foundation has opened a Hurricane Irma Relief Fund and is accepting donations. https://cffound.org/give/donate_selected_fund/hurricane_irma_relief_fund/
2) Orange County Public Schools Foundation has set up a donation page at https://www.foundationforocps.org/p/608/hurricane-relief-for-our-ocps-family. They are in the process of setting up donation sites at schools for items such as clothing, blankets, shoes, and food and are coordinating with A Gift for Teaching for school supply donations.
3) One Blood is in critical need of blood donations, especially platelets and O- blood types. Visit http:/www.oneblood.org to find out donation sites or set up a mobile blood drive at your office.
4) American Red Cross needs donations for shelters and supplies. http://www.redcross.org/local/florida/central-florida
5) Salvation Army also needs donations for shelters and supplies. http://www.disaster.salvationarmy.usa.org
6) Second Harvest Food Bank is the vital emergency food supply for non-profit agencies and is in need of financial and food donations. You can also hold a virtual food drive with your company or group. http://www.feedhopenow.org
7) Clean the World is collecting donations and assembling hygiene kits for Hurricane Irma relief. Visit http://www.cleantheworld.org/relief to donate or find out about volunteer projects. You can also donate items through their Amazon wish list.
8) United Against Poverty is seeking donations to cover the cost of additional food truck deliveries for Irma relief. http://www.uporlando.org
9) United Way has started a Hurricane Irma Fund at http://www.uwcf.org
10) The Petco Foundation is matching all donations to Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando's lifesaving efforts after Hurricane Irma -- up to $50,000. https://petallianceorlando.org/hurricane-irma-donations/